The secret to brisket perfection lies in cooking it low and slow, whether you’re braising, baking, boiling or roasting.
Did you know?
Brisket is popular in Jewish cooking, traditionally served as a braised main course for the high holidays. Brisket is present in so many of the world’s cultures, including Korean, Vietnamese and Northern Italian. In the United States, it’s synonymous with the cuisine of Southern Texas, served smoked and with plenty of attitude.
Brisket tip: Leave the fat cap intact to keep the meat from drying during long cooking times.
Recipe: Pusateri’s Balsamic & Onion Braised Brisket
Yield: 8-10 servings
|1||Beef brisket (4-5 lbs)|
|1 tbsp||Kosher salt|
|2 tsp||Fresh ground black pepper|
|1 ½ tbsp||All-purpose flour (optional)|
|3 tbsp||Grapeseed oil (or Canola oil)|
|2 tbsp||Pusateri’s onion powder|
|6 cloves||Garlic, minced|
|2||Large white or sweet onions, sliced medium|
|2||Large red onions, sliced medium|
|1 tube||Mutti tomato paste (156 mL)|
|1 cup||Colavita balsamic vinegar|
|2 cups||Dry red wine|
|4 tbsp||Gideon Spring Wildflower Blossom Honey|
|3||Bay leaves (fresh or dry)|
|1 bunch||Flat leaf parsley, chopped finely and divided|
1. Preheat oven to 325˚F.
2. Bring brisket to room temperature,pat dry and evenly sprinkle with salt, pepper and flour.
3. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy bottom pot to medium-high. Sear brisket on both sides until brown (around 5-7 minutes per side).
4. Move the brisket into a deep tray and rub with onion powder.
5. Lower heat on the pot to medium and sauté onions for 10 minutes scraping the bottom of the pot to remove any browned bits. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Add garlic and sauté for additional 2 minutes.
7. Mix in tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes. Add the balsamic vinegar and red wine. Once well incorporated add honey, half of the chopped parsley and bay leaves; bring to a soft boil. Remove from heat.
8. Return brisket to the pot, making sure the liquid covers at least half of the meat. Cover with a lid or foil, and bake for 3-3½ hours. Flip meat 1½ hours in.
9. Slice against the grain and top with onions and sauce. Or shred using two forks, mix with sauce and top with onions. Garnish with parsley.