Sweet heirloom cherry tomatoes and silky San Marzanos create a simple sauce bursting with flavour.
|2 tsp||Pusateri’s Delicato Extra Virgin Olive Oil|
|1 small||Vidalia onion, thinly sliced|
|2 cloves||garlic, minced|
|12||heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved|
|Large pinch||kosher salt|
|¼ cup||white wine|
Martelli San Marzano Tomatoes
|1 pkg||Garofalo Spaghettini|
|10 leaves||fresh basil, torn|
|Drizzle||Pusateri’s Delicato Extra Virgin Olive Oil|
1. Heat 2 tsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for approximately 12-15 minutes until they begin to caramelize
2. Add garlic, cherry tomatoes, and kosher salt. Continue to sauté for 2 minutes. Do not brown the garlic.
3. Deglaze the pan with the wine, scraping up any browned bits that are on the bottom of the pan.
4. Add the Martelli tomatoes, reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. While sauce is simmering, set a large pot of salted water over high heat and cook the pasta “al dente” according to package directions.
6. Strain pasta, reserving approximately 1/4 cup of the cooking water. Add strained pasta and reserved cooking water to the sauce and stir well to combine.
7. Place pasta in a large serving bowl, top with the torn basil and drizzle with olive oil.
Kick this dish up a notch or two with some pitted and halved black olives.
Or… take it to the extreme by adding sliced marinated artichoke hearts to the sauce during the last 5 minutes of cooking.