Topped with a spiced yogurt and bacon garnish, this savoury squash soup will keep you warm all fall. For a vegetarian version, garnish with toasted slivered or sliced almonds instead of bacon. Thank you to our friends at Nella Kitchen Equipment who provided us with these fantastic kitchen tools for this video.
|6 slices||Bacon, sliced into ½-inch pieces|
|1||Medium onion, diced|
|1||Large carrot, diced|
|2 stalks||Celery, diced|
|½ tsp||Pusateri’s Cinnamon, ground|
|¼ tsp||Pusateri’s Allspice, ground|
|2||Waxy potatoes, peeled and diced|
|2||Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and diced|
|6 cups||Butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced|
|5 cups||Chicken or vegetable stock|
|3 tbsp||Gideon Spring Wildflower Blossom Honey|
|To taste||Kosher salt|
|To taste||Fresh ground black pepper|
|¾ cup||Bufala Maple Yogurt|
|¼ tsp||Pusateri’s Cinnamon, ground|
|¼ tsp||Pusateri’s Curry Powder|
|2 pinches||Pusateri’s Spicy Paprika|
|2 pinches||Kosher salt for seasoning|
- In a heavy bottom pot, cook sliced bacon until crispy. Remove to a paper towel.
- On medium low heat, add onion, carrot and celery. Cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Add butternut squash, potatoes and apples; sautee for 5 minutes. Add cinnamon and allspice and sauté for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add stock, scraping the bottom of the pot.
- Bring to a boil and turn down to a simmer. Partially cover pot and simmer for 15-25 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- In a bowl, mix the yogurt, cinnamon, curry powder, spicy paprika and salt.
- Use a hand-blender to purée soup in the pot.
- For a smoother soup, pass it through a fine colander.
- Top top with spiced yogurt and bacon.