Firing up the barbeque not only is a great way to bring the family together to enjoy a meal and the weather. If you’re good at grilling, but want to be great, we have some tips to help you improve on your technique.
- Leave the steak to dry in the fridge, unwrapped, for 1 or 2 days on paper towel. Rotate every 12 hours changing the paper towel as needed. This will create a dry outer layer enhancing both flavour and texture;
- Remove the steak from the fridge at least one hour prior to cooking and leave at room temperature for a more evenly cooked steak;
- Time will differ for each steak depending on size, however, a basic starting point is 2 minutes per turn for a 1.5” steak on high heat;
- When grilling your steak use a 3-turn for a classic diamond criss-cross grill pattern;
- Once you’ve grilled your steak to perfection, brush it with butter and let it rest for 8-10 minutes in a warm area or loosely covered with tin foil. This allows the juices to redistribute throughout the steak;
Avoid the common mistake of slicing too early as during the cooking process, the moisture collects in the centre of the meat and can spill out.
Stop by any one of our locations and our expert butchers will help you find your next favourite steak. From July 16 - August 28 we have weekly grill ready features for you to try plus everything else you need to put together a great backyard barbeque. We’re here to help!