Turn the table with our take on the classic stuffing. This centrepiece worthy dish will be a pleasant surprise for everyone at the table.
Quinoa and cornbread stuffing
yields approx. 4 cups
- 1/2 lb turkey, ground
- 1/4 lb red onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, diced
- 1 oz fennel, diced
- 3/4 oz fresh sage
- 1 1/2 tbsp fresh tarragon
- 3/4 tsp dried savory
- 1 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 lb quinoa
- 1 Bartlett pear large dice
- 1/4 lb cornbread diced in large pieces
salt and pepper to taste
- Cook quinoa by placing in a pot of lightly salted boiling water for 12 minutes. Strain and place on sheet tray and chill immediately.
- Sauté onions, celery, fennel and garlic in butter on low heat.
- Add minced turkey and sauté until almost cooked.
- Add all herbs and continue cooking for 2 minutes. Add the pears and continue until it is fully cooked.
- Add chicken stock and let it come to a boil. Add in quinoa.
- Remove from heat and add in the cornbread. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Tip: Combine different hues of quinoa (rarer types include black and red grain) for a festive take on this dish. Be sure to cook each separately before blending.