Autumn’s answer to the ice cream bar. A fresh spin on DIY desserts, which can be beautifully displayed for your guests to customize and enjoy. Thank you to our friends at Nella Kitchen Equipment for providing us with fantastic kitchen tools for this video.
Recipe: Foolproof Mini Pie or Tart Crusts
Yields: 10-14 rounds
|2 cups||All-purpose flour|
|1 cup||Butter, unsalted, cut into pats|
|2 tbsp||Milk 2%, plus extra for brushing|
|Cinnamon sugar, for sprinkling|
- In a food processor, pulse flour, sugar and salt. Pulse in butter until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- In a small bowl, mix egg and milk. Pour over the flour and butter mixture and pulse to combine.
- Enclose the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400° Let the dough rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Flour a working space and roll out the dough to ¼” thickness.
- Cut individual mini crusts with a 3-3.5” cutter.
- Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, brush lightly with milk, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and pierce with a fork to prevent puffing.
- Bake for 15 minutes, rotate and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until evenly golden.
Homemade or store bought – both equally delicious. Here are some of our favourite options:
- Caramelized apples and pears
- Stewed berries and cranberries
- Flambéed bananas
Pro tip: Serve warm for that fresh out the oven feel.
Creams and custards
- Whisked pumpkin with maple
- Whipped, sweetened cream cheese
- Vanilla custard
A spoonful or two? Let them decide.
- Cinnamon whipped cream
- Candied nuts
- Almond pastry cream
- Oats and granola
- Fruit, preserved or fresh
- Toasted coconut
- Chocolate chunks or sprinkles
Pro tip: Use extracts and purées to flavour whipped cream in unique ways. Chocolate whip cream anyone?