This authentic Torta Caprese is a classic, flourless, naturally gluten-free chocolate cake from the island of Capri, typically served room temperature sprinkled with powdered sugar. This rendition from chef Natalina Bombino Campagnolo features a chocolate, pomegranate glaze using Modica Chocolate from Sicily, which adds texture from the chocolate's sugar crystals.Ingredients:
¾ cup + 1 tbsp
1 ¾ cups
|Hearthy Foods 100% Blanched Almond Flour|
|6 oz||Bittersweet chocolate|
|4||large eggs, room temperature|
|1 cup||granulated sugar|
|2 oz||Lo Scuro Zucchero Mascobado Cioccolato di Modica Organico|
|powdered sugar, sifted|
|Black River Pomegranate Juice, reduced*|
|2 tbsp||unsalted butter|
|berry flavoured red candies, ground|
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Butter a 10-inch springform pan. Line bottom with parchment.
2. Melt butter. Cool completely.
3. In a food processor, grind bittersweet chocolate. Add almond flour and combine.
4. Separate eggs and beat yolks and sugar until thick and pale. Add butter and chocolate then whisk. Mix in almond flour. In a separate bowl beat egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff peaks are formed.
5. Whisk 1/4 of the egg whites into the batter, fold in the remaining egg whites. Spread onto prepared pan.
6. Bake in the middle rack until cake pulls away from the sides, 50 minutes. Cook cake and run a sharp knife around the edge to loosen.
1. Melt butter and Modica chocolate in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
2. Add sifted powdered sugar and reduced pomegranate juice. Only add enough juice to achieve desired consistency and cool.
3. Drizzle glaze over cake. Garnish with pomegranate kernels and ground candies.
Learn more about Natalina Bombino Campagnolo.